Friday, April 2, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude Day 1

So in my fitness/wellness meeting this week we were given the homework to write down 5 things a day that we are grateful for. I am the worst journal writer ever, as you can see from my infrequent posts. However, I decided I may have a better shot getting it on here rather than on paper. Here's my effort.

Wednesday (Day 1)
 I am grateful for my legs having the ability to run. I didn't do my 3 miles, but I did 2. I clean a house in Loomis on Wednesdays and the loop around their neighborhood just happens to be a mile. I try to take advantage of this every week by running before I work.

I am grateful for Wednesdays that feel like Saturdays. Today Bobby has the day off for Cesar Chavez Day. I love having him home, it just feels good.

I am grateful for 3-D glasses. I used to hate those stupid paper ones. They don't work. The plastic ones are much better. Today I saw Alice in Wonderland for the 2nd time. The book is one of my favourites. I've read it countless times and I love the nonsense. I thought that they did a great job on the movie and I wouldn't mind seeing it for a 3rd time.

I am grateful for all the things we have so easily available to us. Walking around the mall I can't believe how much there is. It's all just stuff. I used to spend hours here looking for the perfect outfit or just the right shoe. Majority of my money would go to clothing. Now I at all the shoes through the windows and I would love to have them, but it's different. I don't go in and spend my money on them. I don't live for that perfect pair of shoes anymore. Part of it comes from not being happy with my body at the moment and not buying clothes until I'm at the size I want to be. But I think a bigger part of it is that I have changed. Even though I'm not as happy with my body as I'd like to be I'm also not as insecure as I used to be. I'm happy with who I am. I don't need to hide behind the fashion to make myself feel better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't like shopping, I'm just saying that I don't live for it like I used to. Also, with kids that outgrow their clothing about as fast as I can buy it I can hardly afford clothing for myself anymore, it all goes to the kids. And the selection for the kids is fantastic! There used to be Baby Gap and that's it. Now there are at least 10 different store just for the kids! We are so blessed with abundance... not just at the mall, but food as well. Look what surrounds the mall, restaurant after restaurant. Anything you can think of, it's there. Grocery stores of all kinds from Winco to Safeway to The Nugget to Whole Foods. Anything we want is within 30 minutes of where we live. For the most part I have money to go into most of these places and purchase things. How is it for the people that don't have the money and still live here? Surrounded by abundance and not being able to use it. I try to be grateful everyday for what we have. I try to help where I can and not squander what I do have. I won't take it for granted.

I am grateful to have an awesome backyard where my family can sit around a fire and roast marshmallows! Tonight my parents came over and we all made smores out back. It was so much fun to be bundled up under the stars with the warm fire in front of us. Watching my diet, I only had two of the wonderfully toasted marshmallows. SO YUMMY! I want to do this all summer.

No comments: