Thursday, February 3, 2011

Broke down and busted up!

This morning I woke up feeling completely exhausted. It's a Thursday, so it's a preschool day. By this time in the week I've driven down to Rocklin about 80 billion times and I'm over it. But, Rowan loves preschool so much that I can't skip it. I drag myself out of bed and I'm already wearing comfy track suit pants, not going to change out of those. The thought of anything tight around my middle while I'm crampy isn't appealing. I grab a tee shirt out of my closet and figure that it matches well enough. One look in the mirror tells me that there isn't much hope for me. I'll need at least a full hour to look human and I have about 30 secs before I need to be out the door with both kids dressed. I grab my flip flops and my sunglasses and as I climb into my car I think to myself, "Am I really leaving the house looking like this?" My hair is pulled into a messy bun and I've brushed my bangs to the side, there are times that I do actually consider this a hair do and since I just had my eyebrows done I really don't need as much make up. Still, a little effort never hurt anybody.

I drop Rowan off at preschool and Ellis and I head to Target to do some shopping while there is only two of us. I pray that I won't see anyone I know, grab a cart and head inside. As I'm entering the store I see that I'm not the only one dressed this way. I immediately see two girls (not together) dressed head to toe in Abercrombie and Fitch sweats and Uggs. They too, look like they just drug themselves out of bed. It's at this point that I consider the irony that even though I feel like I'm totally scrubby, the outfit I'm wearing cost about the same as a car payment. Why are we all spending so much money on clothing that makes it look like we just rolled in from a camp out? I grab a few things and then of course, the inevitable happens. I turn the corner and who do I see? Why of course, it's the totally gorgeous, skinny, well put together friend I haven't seen in ages!!! I say hello and quickly admit how embarrassed I am that somebody I know is actually seeing me out like this. She exclaims, "What are you talking about, you don't look all busted up! Some girls run around here looking totally broke down, but you look super cute!" I've heard this from girls before, that I pull off the "beach bum" look really well. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that, but I'm going to go ahead and say that it's a good thing since most of the time I'm way too lazy to go for any other look.

As for the comment today, I've decided to believe her. Embracing the beach bum look seems to coincide quite nicely with raising 3 children and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. And after all, it's just easier on my ego.

1 comment:

Shelly Knotts said...

You are always beautiful! You're a good mom!! Sacrifice your image for your son's pre-school!