Friday, May 28, 2010

Miette Part Deux

Yesterday morning I went to check on the baby chicks and found only 3 there. The little Silver Laced Wyandotte was gone without a trace. Somehow, I'm guessing the weasel, dug a hole that I couldn't really see into the run and climbed into the coop and chick-napped my little Miette! I was heartbroken over thinking of my little chick being eaten but went to the feed store after work and picked up a new SLW. I again named her Miette and figured this may be the best way to go about it. All GLW's are Suzette, and SLW's are Miette and so forth. At this rate I won't be able to come up with new names all the time!
When Bobby got home from work I told him that we needed to secure the chicks better. We moved a big heavy fire screen over the brooder. I can hardly lift it, so I doubt any animal will be able to push it off. Bobby then measured all the gaps in the coop around the bottom perimeter so that he could board them up.
We are new to this whole chicken thing, and having to learn things the hard way, but we're getting there. This morning when I checked, all my chicks were safe and sound! :D

1 comment:

Peace Elise said...

I love your project! Good job you guys!