Thursday, November 1, 2012

I'm Amazing

Typically I have a feeling of inadequacy. There are just so many areas in my life that I need to work on to become a better wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, volunteer, etc, etc. This is a quick description of one area of my life I am now working one. 
One of the things I've sworn to better with lately is to not complain about this pregnancy. In my first two pregnancies I was sicker than sick and really at some points thought I was going to die. By the time I was pregnant with Ellis I was so sick of hearing myself complain that I was determined to not make a peep about anything I felt concerning the pregnancy. I feared someone might bury me if they had to live with me being such a whiner again.
 It turned out that I actually felt pretty awesome throughout the whole time Ellis was in my belly and really didn't end up even needing to complain about anything. However, the damage had already been done. I was labeled as being an absolute monster while pregnant. So now here is pregnancy number four I have already been enduring the whole, "uh oh, hope you survive" comments. But I am determined once again, not to complain. (About the pregnancy anyway. Vertigo is a whole other issue and I will complain as much as I want. It's horrible.) And besides talking about being tired, I think I've done a fairly good job, but it's not enough. I am determined to not puke. (If you have a weak stomach this would be a good time to stop reading.) With my two boys I threw up so much that I deteriorated the lining in my stomach and esophagus. I know that I got sick with Ellis, but it was nothing like the boys. Totally livable. I'd drive down the street, pull over, puke. No biggie.
So of course, one of the only side effects I've felt throughout this pregnancy has been a weak stomach. A messy sneeze from one of my little ones or really just a sniff from them will send my stomach roiling. But I'm not going to let it get to me! We all know that being a mom has to be one of the most disgusting jobs in the world. We see and clean up things that are hardly imaginable. That doesn't stop when we are pregnant. Today I was met with the real challenge. A clogged toilet.
I knew I had to unclog it. I knew I was the only one that could do it. I seem to have a magic touch (lucky me)with the plunger. I walked into the bathroom and the smell was overwhelming. To spare you the gory details, this is what I had to end up doing. Stand with my head turned and my face in a towel while I plunged. I could only use sound as an indicator to any progress being made. I tried looking twice and each time nearly ended my non puking streak. But I gained control each time, plunged away and soon heard the wonderful sound of water going down the drain!
I didn't whine and complain that I couldn't do it. I didn't puke. For this moment in time I didn't feel inadequate. I was super mom and I was awesome.

2 comments:

shelley said...

Way to go with the toilet. Yuck.
I know what you mean about not complaining about pregnancy - I felt like people almost expected me to with the twins, and if I'm lucky enough to be pregnant again, I won't complain at all...

Christina said...

Hi, long time no talk! Congratulations on being pregnant. That is so exciting. Also, I love that one of your dolls is baby Levi. I am shocked they remember us since it's been so long.